Google's links to astronomical data archives
This is a Google Directory page assembled by volunteers that has an extensive list of astronomical data.
Access the Data
Content of the Data
List as of 4.13.2009:
Space Telescope Science Institute - http://www.stsci.edu/resources/
- Contains astronomy resources, space data archives, visitor information, and research opportunities.
Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive - http://apod.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
- Daily archive of interesting astronomy photos by NASA.
The Web Nebulae - http://www.seds.org/billa/twn/
- Features images of Nebulae organized by Bill Arnett. Includes glossary, image list, and sources.
Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg - http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/CDS.html
- (CDS) Astronomical databases, bibliography, documentation, and directory.
HEASARC - http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/
- High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center. Provides an archive of data on (and software for analyzing) gamma-ray, X-ray, and extreme ultraviolet observations of cosmic (non-solar) sources.
- NASA Extragalactic Database - http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/
Planetary Data System - http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/
- PDS archives, and distributes digital data from past, and present NASA planetary missions, astronomical observations, and laboratory measurements. Contains data and services, educational resources, and contact information.
Solar Data Analysis Centre - http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/
- Contains solar data, and images. Includes SDAC Data-Finder, current solar images, and TRACE analysis guides.
ADC - Astronomical Data Center - http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/
- NASA's ADC is a resource for astronomical data, catalogs, and journal tables.
MAST: Multimission Archive at STScI - http://archive.stsci.edu/
- MAST supports a variety of astronomical data archives, with the primary focus on scientifically related data sets in the optical, ultraviolet, and near-infrared parts of the spectrum.
The Royal Astronomical Society - http://www.ras.org.uk/
- UK organization promoting astronomy, geophysics, and planetary science.
SIMBAD Astronomical Database - http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad.html
- Offers data, cross-identifications, observational measurements, and bibliography for celestial objects outside the solar system including stars, galaxies, and nonstellar objects within our galaxy, or in external galaxies.
The Aladin Sky Atlas - http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/
- Provides an interactive sky atlas allowing users to visualize digitized images of any part of the sky. Includes astronomical catalogs, personal user data files, and interactive access to related data from the Simbad database, and Vizier service.
Multiwavelength Milky Way - http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/mw/milkyway.html
- The Astrophysics Data Facility (ADF), located at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
DSS - The Digitized Sky Survey - http://stdatu.stsci.edu/dss/
- Comprises a set of all-sky photographic surveys in E, V, J, R, and N bands conducted with the Palomar, and UK Schmidt telescopes at the Space Telescope Science Institute.
The Munich Astro Archive - http://www.maa.mhn.de/
- Archives astronomical data. Includes star dates, comets, glossary, astronomical catalogs, calendar, meteor events, and astromaps.
ESO, and Space Telescope Science Archive Facilities - http://archive.eso.org/
- A joint venture of The European Southern Observatory(ESO), and the Space Telescope European Coordinating Facility(ST-ECF). Includes a shared archive server, services, news, updates, digitized sky images, links, and public datasets.
The VLA FIRST Survey - http://sundog.stsci.edu/
- Faint images of the radio sky at the wavelength of 20 centimeters.
CATS Database - http://w0.sao.ru/cats/
- Astrophysical CATalogs support System. Contains list of catalogs, table of major radio catalogs, and search tool.
CASU Astronomical Data Centre - http://casu.ast.cam.ac.uk/casuadc
- Data center that is part of the Cambridge Astronomy Survey Unit providing a selection of data from the UK's ground based telescopes. Includes archives, and catalogs.
USGS Planetary GIS Web Server. - http://webgis.wr.usgs.gov/
- Mapping interface that will integrate powerful Geographic Information Systems (GIS) graphical, statistical, and spatial relational tools for analyses of planetary datasets.
Radio Astronomy Group, University of Tasmania - http://www-ra.phys.utas.edu.au/
- Contains student research projects, astronomical data, radio observatories, and history.
Personal Web pages - http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/www/yp_personal.html
- A list of the personal web pages of professional astronomers from around the world. Extensive.
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre - http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cadc/
- Contains digitized sky survey, IUE archive, star catalogs, and links.
- Hypercat: Extragalactic database - http://www-obs.univ-lyon1.fr/hypercat/
Search data about millions of galaxies by their name or celestial position. Also an archive of 100,000 images of galaxies.
AAVSO International Database - http://www.aavso.org/data/download/
- Over 10 million variable star estimates dating back over 100 years.
2dF QSo Redshift Survey (2QZ) - http://www.2dfquasar.org
- An Anglo-Australian collaboration surveying 740 square degrees of high-galactic lattiude sky. Contains spectroscopic data release, results, progress report, and input catalogue, survey members, and publications.
The ELODIE archive - http://atlas.obs-hp.fr/elodie/
- Hosts more than 16000 Echelle spectra of 2000 objects from the ELODIE spectrograph at OHP observatory.
SAO Telescope Data Center - http://cfa165.harvard.edu/
- Creates, and maintains software to process and archive data from optical telescopes at the Oak Ridge Observatory in Harvard, Massachusetts, Whipple Observatory, and Multiple Mirror Telescope on Mt. Hopkins in Arizona. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) is part of the Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Cambridge Astronomical Survey Unit - http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~mike/casu/index.html
- Contains information on the PDS and APM microdensitometer facilities, Carlsberg Meridian telescope, data archives, and processing center.
The New UKIRT Archive - http://archive.ast.cam.ac.uk/ukirt_arch/
- The United Kingdom Infrared Telescope Archive. Offers search tool, and operator's log.
NVSS Postage Stamp Server - http://www.cv.nrao.edu/nvss/postage.shtml
- This postage Stamp server for NRAO/VLA Sky Survey (NVSS) returns radio images of the sky in FITS or JPEG format.
Technical Data for the Arecibo Airglow and Optical Instrumentation - http://www.naic.edu/~craig/technical-data.html
- Data information, and instrument documentation from the Arecibo optical facility.
Astronomy: Data Archives - http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~pls/astronomy/archives.html
- Patrick Shopbell's Astronomy Resources. Contains data archives, astronomical catalogs, atlas of nearby dwarf galaxies, and links.
Infrared Space Observatory - http://www.iso.vilspa.esa.es/ida/
- Data archive by the European Space Agency mission with the participation of ISAS and NASA.
DARTS - http://www.darts.isas.jaxa.jp
- A database to provide access for general researchers to observation data about solar, astrophysics and terrestrial information derived by the observation satellites of ISAS. Includes related resource links.
ESO/ST-ECF USNO-A1.0 Catalogue Server - http://archive.eso.org/skycat/servers/usnoa
- Archive provides access to the all-sky catalogue from the set of ten CD-ROMs produced by the US Naval Observatory within the Precise Measurement Machine Project.
Leicester Digitized Sky Survey - http://ledas-www.star.le.ac.uk/DSSbatch/
- An image browser providing access to digitized optical Schmidt plates forming the STScI Survey.
A General Catalogue of Galactic Carbon Stars - http://www.astr.lu.lv/CGCS/cgcs.htm
- A collaborative catalogue of carbon stars by the University of Latvia's Institute of Astronomy.
AstronomyNook - http://www.astronomynook.com/
- Contains astronomy data, news, images, information, and downloads.
Microsoft Research and the SDSS SkyServer - http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/SDSS/
- A project to develop an Internet data resource in astronomy. Includes journals, reading, the sky server, team information, and links.
Jim's Hubble Telescope Photo Gallery - http://www.mindspring.com/~deline/
- Presents photos from the Hubble Space Telescope.
Supercosmos Sky Surveys - http://www-wfau.roe.ac.uk/sss/
- Provides images, and catalogues of the southern sky in three colours. Includes access to digitised images, and the data derived from SuperCOSMOS scans of photographic Schmidt survey plates.
NOAO Data Archives - http://www.noao.edu/archives.html
- Operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), Inc. Includes survey programs data archive, and links to other data collections.
MBCAA Observatory - http://mbond.free.fr
- Data and graphical interpretations of observations of variable stars, gamma ray bursts, minor planets, and other transient phenomena.
CFHT Archive - http://cadcwww.dao.nrc.ca/cfht/cfht.html
- The Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Archive. Includes CFHT archives, images, instruments, help, and links.
Byte-O-Matic.NET Astronomical Information Archive - http://www.byte-o-matic.net
- Offers information services, and archiving of various astronomical issues.
Pat Baker's Astronomy Central - http://my.execpc.com/~dep33/
- Explores astronomy, the universe, the Hubble telescope, the solar system, and astronomy history. Offers news, images, articles, and links.
The UnOfficial Chandra Data Archive Search - http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/archive/chandra/search
- Provides a search tool for the Chandra X-Ray Observatory secondary data products archive.
Astronomical Data Archives Center - http://dbc.nao.ac.jp/
- Data from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. Includes catalog service, data archives, imaging services, and journals.